April 19, 2011

Cub Scouts + the Pinewood Derby

I have a love/hate relationship with the Cub Scout Pinewood Derby. 
2 boys and 3 years, this is the first derby that a car didn't fall apart on the way down the track. For the first time, I got "mom, this is the best we have ever done". The last 2 years were full of tears and my oldest boy, Ethan, hiding in the car.
 Try & Try again is what we try to teach our boys. 


           

Look at those happy faces! Neither one of them won, they are just happy their tires didn't fall off!
*** ***
Digital Scrapbooking is another form of "graphic design". Now that you have these wonderful talents, do people always volunteer YOU to create everything under the sun!?
*** ***
Just as the Derby was starting, the Cub Master asks me if I brought the Pack Race Certificates- "huh"? I didn't get that memo.
"Oh, in our Scout Meeting,  _____ (i will leave them unnamed) said they were going to call you and have you make them, since you might know how."
Awesome.
So, I left the race and ran home to my photoshop. I busted out this certificate and printed up 15 just in time for the final race.

I figured I would share with any of you that may be stuck in this predicament anytime soon.
 (it is pinewood derby season)


                            Click HERE for .PDF                          Click HERE for layered .psd

6 comments:

  1. Thank You Persnickety! This will come in useful for our Cub Scout event next month!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This year was our last year of the Pinewood Derby at our house! Yipeeee!!!!! My husband and I were the Cubmasters for the past NINE years...If I see another Pinewood Derby car, I'll puke!

    Oh and yes, I've been designing the certificates for the past nine years as well. And this year my youngest FINALLY won one of them. He didn't care about winning the race trophy, he just wanted one of Mom's certificates. Too sweet.

    Hmmmm...I think I might have to scrapbook that. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just a quick note to let you know that a link to this post will be placed on CraftCrave in the DigiFree category today [21 Apr 01:00am GMT]. Thanks, Maria

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have such a love hate for the pinewood as well. Great certificate, thanks for sharing that and your personal story!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i have a hate/hate relationship with all things scouts affiliated. :) your certificate is awesome just like you. you never cease to amaze me with your skillzzzz!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a great cert.. for those parents that want to build cars here is a super fun kit to wow and amaze.

    http://www.youtube.com/my_videos_timedtext?video_id=nycHIJW743U

    Old poeple can have fun too..

    ReplyDelete